Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Kilmorey update: History of the Last Fire

Here is a posting from the Waterton Scrambling Blog and a picture as well.

"sigob said...

I just drove by and it really is quite a site to see.

As for my recollections of the fire story - here is the update from my dad and mom. It also fits better with my recollection of my Grandmother and Grandfather's first hand account.
There was a smaller hotel located where the Kilmorey now was. In 1933 during the depression in burnt down under suspicious circumstances. There was a trail in the snow leading to a house and some rather obvious signs of arson. The storm had stopped and the tracks were hard to conceal. An insurance inspector came and the word was he was going to report arson. On his way back to his home office (quite some distance away) his car had a suspicious crash. The local rumor mill had it his brakes had been tampered with.
The old Kilmorey was built up after this."

0 comments: