Monday, January 29, 2007

Upgrading from XP to Linux?!!?

With Vista coming out you would think I'd jump on the bandwagon. Nope. I've got this computer upstairs that I use to watch TV on, check email, listen to music, etc. Anyways it SUCKS!! I spent a good part of my weekend trying to get it to work with little success. Finally I bought a new TV Tuner card, tossed out the video card and boom... Success! However, I figure it's bound to crash again as it usually does. So this is where the upgrade comes in.
I plan to make it a dual-boot, installing Linux on a separate partition. After a month or so, I'll decide if XP is working or if Linux is better. Then I'll trash the partition that didn't make the grade. Should be fun. I decided on SUSE 10.2 and plan on using a free program called MythTV for the pvr or dvr (personal or digital video recorder). It works like a TiVo. We'll see how it works out and I'll keep everyone posted. So long from the land of LOMAH!

0 comments: