Thursday, March 12, 2009

Winter Walkabout

Last week I went on Walkabout to escape some winter blues and enjoy that fact that I had finished my last class for my Masters Program.

I decided to head out the the Akamina pass and camp overnight like the good old days. I have a pair of tele skis with skins and have yet to use the skins. I thought this would be an excellent chance to try them out.
From 2009_03 Akamina Pass
I packed up my bivy and tent and headed out for some adventure. Leaving late as usual, it felt like the University days when we would head out late on a Friday. The drive was ugly with poor visibility, yet my excitement was overflowing. I reached the trailhead and geared up.

By the time I got going, the snow died off and a stillness fell upon me. The moon pierced through a thin veil of clouds and that rare calmness in Waterton surrounded me. Although I was enjoying my time to myself, these moments are rare and I wished I could have shared it with someone.

Well moment come and gone, I started the long skin up to Akamina pass. I'm so out of shape! I slogged my way up, reached the pass and quickly set up camp.
From 2009_03 Akamina Pass

From 2009_03 Akamina Pass
Some of you will recognize my tepee tent which I still love! I will need some better tent pegs for my next winter excursion and I think I can macgyver some pvc ones up! The night was a bit chilly, but really..... I needed a little discomfort to remind myself that I'm still capable of a bit of adventure.

I was able to quickly ski back down and was at the car by 9AM (10AM if you factor that whole daylight savings thing that kicked in overnight). I was happy to be back at the car, but I think the dog was even happier!
From 2009_03 Akamina Pass

1 comments:

You lucky son of a bitch. We've been trying to plan a winter camp adventure for months and haven't made it happen yet. Won't be long around here til the option has totally melted. Looks like a good time had by man and beast!