Monday, November 21, 2011

Boys in Tofino

With the blessings of Dora I hopped on a plane and headed West to hang with my buds.  We have planned a few days of surfing; on kayaks and surf boards.  With little actual practice this year I was a bit worried about how things would work out on the water.  Oh well, no point worrying till the wave hit you!

I arrived the day before so we headed to meet big T in Nanaimo.  With a phone call from big T about missing his ferry due to city buses, we had time to kill.  We did a quick drive through the countryside and found a pub that looked liked it belonged in the English countryside, the Crow & Gate Pub.






After some good food and beverage we were on route to pick up T.  It was a lengthy drive through the dark and quite the windy road.  With the help of 3 smart-phones we found our cabin and checked in for the night.




We started the day in a leisurely fashion as the waves were better around noon.  A good breakfast and a quick packing had us ready to go surf at Cox Bay.


 It was a dreary day, with rain coming and clouds everywhere.  Everyone has full wetsuits or drytops for this kind of weather.  After a short walk we were on the beach.





The surfing was difficult but fun and we worked it for a couple of hours before we ran out of steam.  As well, it seamed that the wave period was decreasing, making it difficult to get back up to catch more waves.  I didn't take much for pictures on the waves but I did take some video.  I'll post some of that when I get a chance.







0 comments: