Thursday, December 20, 2012

Boys Weekend

As luck would have it I was able to get away with the boys for opening weekend at Whitefish.  While the forecast wasn't great the week prior, things really shaped up by the time we arrived.  In the end, 5 of us showed up, including CG, who turned the big 40 and Merc., who came all the way from Vic.



After the usual gong show upon arriving and getting to the hill, we manged to get some good skiing in day one.  Chris gets full props for doing it old school.  Check out those gaiters!




I'm not sure about everyone else, but I had no legs left by the end of the day.  With the front side being closed, we spent the day on the backside, except for a few runs that they opened, allowing you to ski down the front and avoid taking the chairlift down.








After a full day of skiing we headed back to the Hironaka cabin for some pizza and TV.  We played a bit of poker, using chocolates for chips.  Chris was out pretty quick, but I think he ate himself out of the game.  Only Merc and I stayed for a second day.



Day two was a bit harder on the legs so we decided to snowboard instead of tele for the day.  I'm pretty glad as I don't think I could have skied for very long.  As luck would have it, around 2pm they opened the full mountain just as I got to the top of the mountain.  I made the mad dash and managed to snake some sweet first tracks down the front side.  I was screaming in excitement and choking on powder as I worked my way down the big face.
Nice way to start the season.


0 comments: