Wednesday, December 12, 2007

gear shed

Well this has sort of been a dream of mine for quite some time. Ever since I saw this movie "The Big Hit" with Mark Walberg. I've always wanted to have this hidden gear closet that stored all my outdoor gear. Well with a bit of time on my hands I headed out to the garage and got to work.

Totem had a great deal on this 3/4" plywood that was cabinet grade so it has a finished look on both sides. I made a box frame that sits on the concrete retaining wall and is attached to the studs behind the drywall. I then added a double door system that sits on wheels to hold the weight and make it easier to open and close the doors. The doors are 6" deep so gear can be stored on them as well

I then finished by mounting some rails on the top for my kayak. In the end, the whole thing is over 8ft high and about 7 1/2 ft across. When opened, that amounts to 15ft of wall space! I'm now in the process of finishing the interior with hooks to store everything.

I'll post the finished closet later.









1 comments:

looks great!! we should have you up here in the summer to help build a extra big shead in the backyard

k