Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Scooby Dooby Doo!

You should know first that Evan has eczema, especially when teething. Poor thing just gets raw hands and cheeks (face). Lotion alone doesn't do the trick, but you know what seems to be helping? Flax seed oil. Yup, simple. I love my ND! Evan takes 1 tsp or so with his morning cereal and is good to go. I'm supposed to take it too so that (a) I can be healthier (what?) and (b) he gets it through my breastmilk (I know, mmmmmm). Now I like to think that I am a mom that tries her absolute best for her kids and there's nothing I wouldn't do for them. The tbsp of oil that I am suppose to consume in a day just about pushes me to my limit. I simply CAN NOT DO IT. I have met my match. I have eaten chicken's feet and duck's tongue but can not do flax seed oil. Blagh! I've tried it in a smoothie, and even tried one of the flavoured kinds (strawberry banana) but it's just gross. So rather than admit defeat, I found this recipe. Besides, I am also cheap and I have a whole bottle of flaxseed oil to get rid of. My little kitchen helper and I call them "Scooby Snacks". They are actually called "Nutritious Nuggets" - I picked up the recipe from Nutters.

1/2 cup hemp nuts (which we didn't have. I was going to use oatmeal, but while I was looking for it, my little helper tossed in more almonds. whatever.)
2 tbsp organic flax meal
1 tbsp organic flax seed
2 tbsp flax seed oil
1/4 slivered almonds (optional)
1/2 cup semi sweet chocolate chips (I had dark chocolate here and used that - yum)
1 heaping tbsp honey

Measure flax meal, flax seed, hemp nuts and almonds in a bowl. Stir in the oil. Melt chocolate chips and honey in a microwave. Stir the chocolate/honey mixture into the other ingredients and mix well. Drop 1/2 tsp of mixture onto wax paper. Makes approximately 30 nuggets. Set in fridge for an hour to set, remove and place nuggets in a sealed container. Store in the fridge. Enjoy!

And it's true chocolate makes anything good. Even flax seed oil. I've had two nuggets today (we made ours bigger, its LOMAH after all) and I'm happy to report no flax burps. Now I just have to find a way to use the strawberry/banana flavoured oil. Waste not, want not...

3 comments:

I, too, have a hate-on for flax - the taste is so nasty! And while this recipe contains manna (chocolate), I can't believe it covers up the taste of all that flax. Really? Sounds super easy to make, anyway. Nice chatting with you yesterday! Sorry I had to cut it short. More chat soon!

We started putting flax in alot of our foods when my other half found out that he had high cholestrol. we put it in just about all sauces plus anything else we can think of. We don't even notice the taste and neither do the kids!!

Dawn

I use lansoline cream(boob cream) on my kids face in the winter. They all get really dry skin. That stuff heals it over night. I buy a tube every winter. It is great!!