Thursday, September 16, 2010

Because I know....

Well, at least I thought I did. I thought I remembered how exhausting the first few days back at school were. Just how absolutely draining 20 to 30 bodies all looking to you for entertainment, guidance, entertainment, discipline, respect and knowledge was. I was wrong.

For those who don't know, I have taken an extended leave of absence from my teaching position to stay home with our boys and sub occasionally. I feel like the luckiest person ever. Lazy mornings in bed, nursing Evan and reading with Logan; snuggling Evan after a nap while he's all warm and dopey. Even the 4 poopy diapers a day don't get in the way of me enjoying just being home with them, most days. I love being home.

BUT, I love my job too, so I'm subbing. To try different grade levels, different subjects, see how other teachers do it and how other schools do it. A great opportunity for PD. And a little fun money. This week, I was lucky to get 2 days in a row in the same room. That room happened to be grade 2/3 split and Mark and I got to carpool. So, not only did I get to try something that I haven't done for YEARS, I got to see Mark at work. Nice I thought, I can do this. And I did. Not as gracefully as I would've liked sometimes, but the kids and classroom assistants were generous and forgiving. The teacher that I was covering for left AMPLE work to do and had laid everything out very clearly. It was a very positive experience.

What I didn't expect is how it would feel watching Mark at work. He does not sit (not that I did, except during story time - oh blessed story time!). But he really doesn't ever stop. Not that he complains. But it does explain the get home and crash. He is teaching full time, solving tech problems for 30 staff members and all student accounts, and buying and installing a bunch of new exciting stuff. That is a lot to juggle. Good thing he's a super hero fueled on caffeine, pastries and appreciation. So not to say that I will be taking it easier on him here at home, but it was good to be reminded of how hard Septembers can be.

Cheers to you teachers! September is almost over, here comes Thanksgiving!

1 comments:

What!?! Mark has enough time to actually crash at home before it's bed time???