Sunday, February 27, 2011

Old School Shaving

Recently, I got even more disgusted with the prices for replacement shaving heads.  It seemed like something would change every year, making the past model obsolete and the newer model more expensive.  So for some reason or another, I decided to regress to the style used by my grandpa, a safety razor.

These blades or DE (double edged) razor blades conjure up images of reckless sharpness and in inability to prevent spilled blood.  A scene from blades of glory comes to mind, the iron lotus. Not so!  I've done quite well for myself, with my first usage leaving me with a small nick.

I found an online store, Fendrihan, that carried a large assortment of blades, razors and accessories.  While I ended up spending close to $100 bucks, I decided I wasn't turning back and bought the 100 pack of blades.  That's enough for 2 years of shaving!  The rest of the money was for a Merkur HD 34C, brush, soap and after shave treatment.  If I average out the cost over the next 2 years, it works out to about a buck a week in shaving costs.

It's become a fun ritual to shave and I'm improving each time.  I thought I would post a few pics of my handy work.











1 comments:

Good work. I was hoping to see the straight blade but that one is pretty nifty too. I just slave away with my electric razor, though only 2-3 times a week as you could tell by my mustache...