Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Coffee Tragedy

I have had a coffee tragedy. I busted my portafilter. Can you believe it? I know I've been working out, but come on!!
The reality is if you look closely, it was held together by a threaded bolt. NOT VERY STURDY!! The easiest solution was to replace it. You can see that the replacement is a much improved version of mine.
It's larger and the chrome plating is nicer as well. I purchased it from a store in Vancouver. I was planning on buying it from Caffetech in Edmonton (Where I adopted Silvia from) but the price was about 20 bucks cheaper from Espressotec. They were prompt with shipping and the prices were better.
In addition to the new portafilter, I bought a Marzocco Filter basket

"This extra-capacity (16 gram) double basket holds about 20% more espresso grounds than the standard Rancilio 2-cup commercial filter basket supplied with the Silvia and all other (Rancilio commercial machines). This design has the all-important ridge on the side which keeps the basket securely in place in the Silvia Portafilter; it also features a wider, deeper basket which is compatible with all 58mm tampers including the Reg Barber tamper.

Why would you need this basket? The Rancilio Silvia is a very efficient espresso machine with the capability of delivering beautiful crema under almost any condition and with any espresso coffee bean. The Silvia prefers a professionally ground espresso - meaning a very fine, consistently-grained (under a microscope) ground espresso. If you have a Rancilio Rocky grinder, or other very high-quality burr grinder, this is easy to achieve and this basket is not really necessary, unless you prefer a larger (longer) espresso with the same "body" (thickness).

Store-ground espresso or a "less expensive" home grinders often have difficulty getting a very fine, consistent grind, allowing a too-fast pour time. So if you are having trouble obtaining a slow, syrupy pour, this 16 gram basket will improve your results and your espresso!"

and some of their coffee. I'll let you know how it works with my new "upgrades"...

0 comments: