Monday, June 21, 2010

Old Man in a Boat

Well after a 2 year hiatus from my boat, I managed to get a day out paddling.  To make things even more interesting, we paddled the Lower St. Marys at 450cms.   It put that in perspective, a good flow on that river is normally around 40cms!  As you might know from my previous posting, water levels are high around LOMAH and I wanted to get out while the flows were good.  Luckily my cousin Clay was brave/stupid/willing to head out with me.  The fact was, both of us hadn't paddled in so long, we were second guessing our skill level.  Not willing to change our minds we headed down to the river and took a stab at it.  How bad could it be?  Fact was the dangers were low, the water was high and the waves were big.  Most of the river features were buried below the water so all that was left were a few surf waves and some big haystacks.  Still enough to trash us a bit, but nothing epic!  Here are some pictures and video from the day out.

0 comments: