Tuesday, June 01, 2010

Random Late Night Thoughts

It's June. Early June, but June none the less. As a say these words I'm reminded of Sarah Thomas and her infectious concept of saying "June" when posing for a picture. How this word has come in handy when I smile just wouldn't due. Thanks Sarah.
From 2006_08 Mike & Courtenay's Wedding
I'm tired of this weather. NO REALLY. Can it stop now? Typically I'd be in my glory with all this rain and Kayaking, but the last few years have seen a decline in my paddling expeditions and to be honest I'm worried I'll sink rather than float when I get in my boat next. I've always felt you need to work out those paddlin' skills in moving water and with the flows so high as of late, It's tough to jump in right now. The flows are amazing but like I said... sink not float. I know I say this every year, but next year should be better.

Random thought Baseball. I want to see a Major League game, and not just anywhere, but one of the old stadiums, a classic. Are there any left? Fenway is still around and might be the last. Need to go before it's gone. I'm thinking/planning on heading there next year. Screw it. Has to be done. I figure I'll grab the train in Shelby, MT and catch the slow road to Boston. July/August works for me, any takers? I'm thinking a boys trip and now my West Coast buddies are abundant. Come on guys... one of you has got to be interested!

Life... plugs along doesn't it? I was reading online about Dennis Hopper and thought to myself, gee life seems to get shorter and shorter all the time. 74! Really! I'm like halfway there. Not good. Mind you I'm not the drinker/cocaine user that he was. Regardless, I wonder at times about life and all those philosophical aspects that surround it. Often little comes from it. As of late, with kids I feel a greater sense of accomplishment out of my life. Why is that? My own exploits, work, they really don't hold much to my kids. I guess everyone sees this with crazy helicopter parents and that hockey parent stereotype, but It's that promise of something better, that dream of better, that motivating drive that pushes humanity forward. If we didn't dream through our kids I think we'd still be in that cave wearing animals skins.
One last thought. Friends. We spend so much of our life building them, finding them and doing things with them. I look at my students and see how this portion of their life consumes them. Yet the ability to maintain it impossible, yet it's that part of my life, perhaps most peoples life that I miss and crave. Everyone is so far away... sometimes I feel like I'd do anything to get what I'm missing back. Not likely, but I miss it. I do feel, like most things, it cycles. I remember in my youth eating rice and Kentucky fried chicken gravy as a meal. Not real proud of that, but it worked. No money. Things have changed and I can actually afford to fly out to Victoria to visit friends. Over Easter I had a quick trip West and it was the highlight of my Spring. To visit with the Nishima's, to see Mike become a dad, to have Easter dinner at the Wilsons'. Good times.

Well enough ramblin, and yes I did have something to drink. Apparently not enough or I would have gone straight to bed.

2 comments:

Well if you are up for a 5 hour drive to Edmonton you can visit us at my parents cabin. THe kids can fish and boat and get pulled on the tire.

Good times my friend. We miss you too.