Monday, July 20, 2009

Week 3, a camping trip

Week 3 has come and gone. I managed to use the Jedi mind trick on Dora to convince her to let me go camping with Logan. Silly woman, she should have checked my identification!

After a late start we headed South to Kalispell, Montana to pick up a new tent. I purchased a RTT or roof top tent from camping lab, a company that sells them and arranged to pick it up in Montana to get the free shipping.

Unfortunately, the base bars were too short to fit my truck rack and I was stuck in another Country without any tools. With kid in tow, I made a mad dash to the local HomeDepot at purchased some supplies. I then headed to Whitefish as my cousin has a cabin there. By the time I arrived Logan had fallen asleep so I set-up my tent (brought a backup tent!), tucked him in and set to work building a new base to put the tent on. Shortly before midnight I had successfully mounted the tent. You can see the finished product here.

From 2009_07 Tent trip

The next day involved us hitting a nice little lake just north of starving donkey... I mean hungry horse. Logan was a real trooper and hiked the whole thing except the last 5 minutes. He was a tired little boy.

We packed up and headed to our campground for the night. With a dramatic crash off the ladder (Don't worry, new rules are now in place!) we survived our first night in the tent. It truly was the cat's meow.
From 2009_07 Tent trip

From 2009_07 Tent trip

Logan truly enjoyed his camping experience and found a new use for camping equipment as highlighted below.

For those worried about Dora and Evan... they both survived the 3 days we were gone and I think the Jedi mind trick might work a few more times this summer.

As well I plan to do some "Real" mounting work, lowering the tent about 2" and adding a few extra's I'll post the revised truck set-up later.

2 comments:

I can't decide if I'm more excited by your first father son camping trip (and luxurious alone time for Dora and Evan) or the amazing truck set up. HOLY CRAP!

jeez, that's awesome, well done! i'd never even heard of an rtt before; i'll have to show rob and see if it trumps his alaskan camper we've got on our truck!