Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Mucho Gusto

As the trip progresses, I’m noticing more and more the difference between the people of Costa Rica and Mexico.  While both groups are nice, the feeling of their genuine nature is less evident in Mexico.  I don’t know if I can put a finger on why this is, but it is definitely there.  Makes the trip that much nicer.

We just finished visiting a biological station called LaSelva and it might be one of my highlights.  For 2hr we wandered through a tropical rainforest, exploring the sights both on the forest floor and above.  I love the diversity and variation in the flora and fauna.

IMG_0646

These trees, the walking palm were amazing, the way they used roots rather than a central trunk for footings.  It has a narrow diameter, like 8”, but extends upwards some 50ft plus.  For some trees, the roots that touch the ground are only a centimetre or two.  Image a tree that height supported by such tiny stalks.

IMG_0661

I should mention that I ticked off something from my bucket list.  I’ve always wanted to kayak somewhere with warm water.  A place were the idea of a drytop would be ludicrous!  I did it!  I did some talking with the rafting company owner and he let me use his old boat to kayak, a stubby!  For those that don’t know, that was the first boat I ever owned.  How fitting to use it to fulfill a dream.  Here are a few pictures, I even had a professional photographer taking some pictures.

IMGP0134

_MG_0693

_MG_0828

Well, the trip is coming to a close and It’s been fun.  I miss my family and want to see them.  I can’t remember the last time I travelled without family of some sort.  You don’t seem so far away from home when your family is near.  Right now I’m so far way.

See you all soon!

1 comments:

Too funny about the stubb - I thought something looked familiar - Just need the bandana to wrap up a gouge to the forehead and the deja vu would be complete. -Chris