Monday, April 25, 2011

Pura Vida my Hombres

My first post from Central America on our blog has me in good spirits.  I’m on tour with our school group for 9 days and so far the kids have not caused me any grief and they seem to be having a great time.  The weather has held so far, with clouds at times, but mostly sunny and warm.  I feel like an old man, I’m sweating so much!  It’s a good thing the kids aren’t all athletes, I allows me to stay ahead of the pack.

IMG_0408

There is something about travelling to countries like this that I still can’t get use to… it’s the diversity in economic status.  The quality of housing between the wealthy and poor is staggering.  Some of the houses look to be in such poor shape, I wouldn’t even let animals live in them.  There are also bars and protective fences around every house in some areas.  These protective measures against crime seems as foreign as the living conditions for some of these people.  I always gain a new appreciation for Canada and the quality of life it provides.  Something for fighting for, or at least voting for!  Speaking of which, I think this is the first year my voting habits might change.  I think I’ll be more influenced by the party representative rather than the party itself.

IMG_0497

But I’m drifting off topic…

Costa Rica does have a wonderful environment, diverse and exciting.   wish I had more time to explore the jungle and learn about the vegetation.  I’ve never seen such diversity and forests like this.  I never imagined how loud a jungle would be.  I am so use to our forests that I was surprized at the noise all the insects and bugs make in the jungle.  It was deafening at times!  I would love to bring back my family here one day, to learn and absorb what this country has to offer.

IMG_0587

Until then, Hasta luego amigos!

0 comments: