Monday, May 17, 2010

Wicked Weekend

Don't tell anyone, but I had a great weekend.  Nothing hard core from my end, just a short day hike up Heart Creek, but the combination weather, company and time away from home made it a great time.


Dora had a surprize race when a friend of Jaime's canceled, opening a spot in the Rocky Mountain Soap Company Women's Run.  With litterally a week to train, Dora ran a 12km race, 4km more than any previous race.  I don't know about you but that's about 10km more than I'd be willing to run!  She trained, stressed and headed North to Camore for the race and we bunked with my brother and his family in a rented Condo.  It was a small, but cozy 2 bedroom place with a view of Hai Ling's Peak
 The 2009 race consisted of 2000 participants of the female persuasion and I felt like a lamb in a field of cougars.  Luckily I had my boys to protect me!  We had a great time waiting for the girls to arrive and we cheered Dora and Jaime on!  They both worked hard and these pictures are at the half way point.


The times are not yet up, but considering the terrain and training time, I know Dora did awesome!

After the race we walked the streets of Canmore and took the kids to the park to play.  After we headed back to the condo for some beverage and steaks.  By the end of the weekend we were surprized to realize that we ate all our meals at the condo.  Not one meal out!  I manged to do some shopping and got a new pair of hiking boot which I am totally excited about.  I had these adventure 9's that lasted forever and when they died I couldn't find anything to replace them with.  I finally broke down and bought a decent pair of boots, some Scarpa Nepal's.


The boots fit like a glove and the full leather interior/exterior combined with the rand had me at hello.  Deep down inside you all know how I crave gear and I've come into my own in a way.  I used to buy "quantity" with regards to gear, but in the last few years I've moved on to "quality".  I expect these boots to last me 10-15 years.

Sunday we packed up and headed home, but not before a stop and a hike.  We zipped up the Heart Creek trail and back in a couple of hours.  The kids did awesome as we hiked the 3km trail.  Logan hiked most of the 6km round trip, making it his longest hike yet!  What a trooper and it's only getting better!

Here are some pictures from the hike.

Like I said.  Wicked Weekend.

0 comments: